Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Worst Day Yet :(

Today was a very frustrating/infuriating day.  My kids have had 4 class days to work on their projects over the American Revolution (as they have already learned this extensively in 8th grade, but they don't remember so we review it for the TAKS test).  It's supposed to be a fluff project-easy to bring up their grades.  First it was due on Tuesday but then most people weren't making signifiant progress I made Tuesday a work day and due first think on Wednesday.  But of course today I get all sorts of excuses of why its not finished.  I had a few people finish yesterday, so I know they had plenty of time (way more time than needed for this project).  So I was getting frustrated with all of those stupid excuses.  And trying to get them back to paying attention/listen to me talk mode since they have been doing whatever for the last four days.

Then I had planned a fun short activity of putting the events of the American Revolution in chronological order (thats time order for those 10th graders reading this that don't know what chronological means - a few groups gave me alphabetical order I mean really- OMG).  Again, we have studied this, they have drawn a cartoon of the events (in chronological order- or supposed to be- we shall see when I grade them), so it should have taken them three minutes to do.  So how I did it was put the events onto notecards, and divide the class into teams.  The team that got it right the fastest got 5 extra points on the quiz.  I first set my timer for 3 minutes, nobody was even close, so I gave them extra time.  Only two groups (out of 5 classes-with 6 groups each in them) got it right in a decent amount of time.  So that was frustrating.  I really thought this was going to be an easy short review, and it ended up being almost the whole lesson.

Also, I gave my students a vocabulary assignment two and a half weeks ago.  It was goign to be due on Tuesdya, buts since they were supposed to be working hard on their projects (ha) I pushed it back to Friday.  I am still getting complaints on.  I kept saying I gave it to you 2 weeks ago, you have had plenty of time to come beofre or after school to get the definitions if you don't have a book.  And I'm also getting complaints that no other teachers are doing it.  I keep saying well I'm not those teachers, you have me.  UGH.  Two weeks is plenty of time to get it done, especailly since that I have been reminding them everyday. 

I currently have 3 kids in DMC, and after 3 weeks of working there I still don't know what DMC stands for but it's like an inschool suspension.  So I needed to bring one of my kids some materials he needs for the project- which I would have done yesterday when he was in DMC, but he skipped (stupid kid).  So I went down there during lunch (and it's all the way across the school and my lunch break is only 30 minutes long).  So I wasted 12 minutes of freedom (i mean lunch-lol), walking down there and back.  UGH!

Finally when the day was over I went downstairs(which again is like a 10 minute walk) to make copies and the machine jammed.  Even bigger UGH!!

The last thing to make my day bad was I went to sonic to get a nice big cherry Dr. Pepper, and I missed happy hour by 10 minutes.  Had to pay full price.  But the day did get better, the Sonic guy gave me two cherries in my Dr. Pepper!!!  And I was home early, got to enjoy the night with my wonderful husband.  And we had 5 guys burgers for dinner (yummy!!).  And I get to sleep in a little bit tomorrow. I have to get my badge done during my conference period, and since I have first off and I pass by the security office on my way to work, they said I could just come in after I get it made.  Since the security office is so gay by only being open from 7 to 3, when all their customers are teachers who would be in school during those hours (so stupid). 

I am also looking forward to this weekend.  Rachel, Lauren, Mark and Katherine are coming down and staying with us and we are going to the A&M vs. Tech basketball game on Saturday where I get to see Michelle and Katie.

Thanks for listening to me rant!!!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your rough day with the kiddos! I remember those days all too well! You wonder how some of the kids ever made it to the grade level in which you're teaching! Hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete