Friday, December 24, 2010

Welcome! A Christmas Newsletter

Hopefully there are some new readers to the blog after I sent out our Christmas cards this year.  If that's you, welcome! Please stop by often, I try to update at least once a week, a little more if its a particularly exciting week, a little less if it's boring around here.  Please feel free to comment, I like reading the comments!  I didn't write a Christmas letter out this year and send it out, but I will write a little synopsis of the year, feel free to go back through the blog and read about it first hand.

What a year!  For me personally 2010 brought much change.  In Decemeber of last year, I was hired on at Cy Creek High School to teach 10th grade World History.  If you would of asked me then, World History was probably the subject that I wanted to teach the LEAST, that I'm certified to teach... but after months of searching for a job I was not going to be picky.  It was an exciting/crazy/busy/chaotic January getting settled in, learning the ropes, teaching, all the paperwork that goes with it, and brushing up on my world history.  It turned out to be a great experience, I had great kids, and wonderful co workers.  However, I'm not going to lie, I was excited for June to come for summer!

Over Spring Break we went up to New York to visit Russell's family, mainly his grandparents.  In the 5 years that we had been together, including the 1 year of marriage, they still had not met me.  So it was exciting to go up there and meet the, learn more about Russell and his family.  While we were up there we went to Cooperstown to see the Baseball Hall of Fame.  Next time we go up there (hopefully sometime in 2011) we can go see Niagra Falls.

This summer was a busy one for me, unfortunately Russell was left out of many of these adventures, the perks of teaching and having the summer off.  Jeremy (my youth pastor/brother-in-law) asked me if I could come and chaperone high school summer camp.  I said well I work with high schoolers every day and free trip to the beach... why not!  So I was headed off for the week with over 500 high schoolers in Orange Beach, Alabama.  It was lots of fun seeing so many high schoolers having fun and worshipping God!  But after a week away I was happy to be back home with my husband.  Later in July, I headed off to Nashville for a long weekend to see Christy, my best friend that I met while living in Colorado, and have seen every summer since we left.  It is always great to see her, especially because she had just gotten engaged!  I am her maid of honor in her wedding coming up July 2011.

At the end of the school year, I was told that there were too many teachers at my school, so me and a few other teachers were going to have to find another school within the district to teach.  Unfortunately, that opportunity did not present itself right away at the beginning of the school year, so I was back at Creek "team teaching" until something opened up.  Fortunately, after a few weeks another school in the district needed another teacher and hired me on.  I started at Cy Ranch teaching 5 sections of World Geography (9th graders) and one section of World History (10th graders).  I am very happy at Ranch.  Not only is it 5 minutes from my house (Hallelujah! - Creek was almost 30), it is a new school (only it's 3rd year open) and they have set high standards and the kids are great.  It is a challenge teaching two entirely different subjects (plus honors and on-level kids within geography) but I like it.  Ranch will also give me the most opportunity to teach economics- which is what I most want to do!.  Right now there is only one Econ teacher (because it is their first senior class this year) and so within the next year or two that's where I'll be.

Over the Thanksgiving break, Russell's parent invited us to go with them to Cancun for their week in their timeshare.  Over course we said yes!  It was an amazing trip, fun times with fun people, his parents, his brother, and his uncle from New York.  It was nice and relaxing and for 5 whole days I didn't think about my kids (just kidding every time it was supposed to be 6th and 7th period, they are my worst classes- and I prayed a little for the sub- haha!).  However, our time there passed way to quickly, and back to real life.

Since then we have just been finishing up the semester and working.  We attend the MET church in Cypress, and help out tearing down every week, as we meet in a middle school for now, and grow more involved with our small group.  Russell is still working at Baker Hughes as a mechanical engineering in one of their oil tool manufacturing plants.  Though his job is sometimes stressful, sometimes boring, he likes his team and his daily duties.  We are thankful that God has provided him with a steady job, he will start his third year in 2011, and me with a good school and good kids.  We are now spending some time back up in Dallas with my family, before the new year.  I hope life is treating you as well have a blessed Christmas with family and friends. 

Please come back throughout the year  and stay in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment