Sunday, February 21, 2010

Birthday Weekend!

I started this post early in the week, but then the internet messed up halfway through and then I was so frustrated I didn't feel like rewriting. So now it's a long overdue post. Sorry. I’m writing it in word first, in case the internet messes up again, so it will probably have less spelling errors and be more grammatically correct- lol.


Last weekend was my birthday, and we went to Dallas. On Thursday it rained all day in Houston, but up in Dallas it was cold enough for it to snow all day. My parents had over 7 inches of snow. We left about 3:20 from Houston. It was the earliest I could get home after school, and throw all our toiletries in the bag. We started seeing snow around Thornton (on 14, the one you only slow down to 50 and no stops-lol). But it was mostly on the roofs and in snowmen. But it was in between Grosbeck and Mexia that we started seeing snow on the ground all over. And Corsicana there was a LOT of snow on the ground and in the far left lane. For some reason it decided to stay in that lane, and so that made it be more traffic that would have been. You could see tire marks where people had tried to drive in the snow, but then failed (as in going into the guardrail). We made it my parent’s house around 7:30- so pretty good time.

However, not great time because we missed the surprise (though we knew that was going to happen). Leslie decided to throw Jeremy a surprise party because he had turned 30 the week before. He thought they were just coming over to see us, but instead he was greeted by about 30 other friends. It was a fun party; it was good to see a lot of people. It’s hard to see a lot of people on the weekend, but that’s how it is when you live far away.
Our Saturday started by going on a wild goose chase to get Jeremy’s present. We knew we wanted to get him a golf gift card, but because it had snowed the pro shop was closed (and we found that out when we got there). So we went to Target to get him a card, and decided we would get him 30 ones. But that requires going to the bank, and so we went. But the bank at that Tom Thumb is now just an atm. I hate it when things change and I don’t know where they are now. But we made it back and had lunch with the family and Nannie and Da. We watched some Olympics and then went to dinner at Ghingis Grill (they don’t have those down here).
Sunday we went to church, and then out to eat with what ended up being a rather large group. As I called it the “McRotayfosikeman’s”. Haha that include us (McCarthy’s), my parents (Roddy’s ), Leslie and Jeremy (Taylor’s), Amanda (Foster), Kristi (Sikes), and Kellan and Molly (the Hickman’s). We ate at On The Border (of course) and it was very yummy!! We left on Sunday around 2 and made it back to Houston in less than 4 hours (Russell was driving not me). When we got back Russell gave me his present, and he got me a nice bathrobe, and gift cards for pedicure, and a message. I was very thankful for that.

On Monday Russell got to sleep in, because he got the day off. I had to go to work, but it was just development, so no kids. But it made for a short week, and those are always good!


2 comments:

  1. We just saw a Genghis Grill the other day. It was over by Memorial City Mall off I-10 and Gessner. It was on the opposite side of 10 as the mall. We were going to eat there, but decided to go to Freebirds instead. I'm not sure how close that is to where you are, but there's at least one in Houston! I was so bummed we missed all that Dallas snow. My parents had 12 inches. Although truthfully I enjoy our weather better... but one day of snow would have been so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first six weeks as World History teacher! Glad you and Russell made it up here for your birthday and the snow. It was pretty impressive -- especially if you hadn't seen snow like that before.
    Love you. --Mom

    ReplyDelete